Saturday, June 16, 2007



June 15th, 2007

Hi Everyone!
Well, I have been in Cova Lima now for a few weeks and it is starting to feel a bit like home! My accommodations are nicer than Maliana, for example I have hot water in my room and air conditioning which works all night, a television (with two channels both from Indonesia and both in Bahasa), and a very good restaurant in the hotel. The barracks are quite a bit nicer than Maliana as well; in fact there is a full time UN doctor and nurse located on the base. The terrain is less mountainous than Bobanaro district but more like a jungle. Even in the dry season it rains more in this region, so there is a lot more vegetation and things are still very green. The Parliamentary election campaign is now well underway. There are 14 parties competing for a total of 65 seats. With my move to Cova Lima I have also moved to CNE, which is the election monitoring and certification body. So my job is to attend as many of the rallies as possible, speak with people at the rallies, market, and so on, and prepare reports on the political atmosphere and report any violations of the political code of conduct. I am really enjoying working with CNE and will keep me very busy over the next few weeks!!

2 comments:

mom said...

to lloyd,
fab and I are at Kirks, doing what we do best -eating. You misses all the birthday parties.especially the eating.
Fab had the girls Fri night And Sat. we went to the cottage today and the girls had a great time playing with the cousins. we had the garden tilled again today, I hoope to get the rest planted
tomorrow. The potatoes are doing great, also the beans. The weather is cold and wet, so I think we still lots of time. The girls were excited aboout the cupcakes. Hurry home , love mom

April & Albert said...

Hi Lyoyd,
Howard and Susan arrived in your part of the world. They are in Sydney.

They are going to tour around for three weeks with no plans, just what they see that they wan't to do.

He e-mails now and them to check in.

Sounds like things are going well for you. Stay safe and we will see you soon.

Love, Albert and April